Friday, June 18, 2010

Salem Lingo

I've been feeling guilty about not updating Salem's baby book for the last 6 months. But then I feel even more guilty about not having even started Alder's. And just as I start to look for those baby books, somebody starts crying. So really I don't feel that guilty about it. It's more important to take good care of my children than to document how adorable they are, right?

And who needs to look for baby books in sleeping baby's rooms when there's a blog.

So here are some of my favorite Salemisms:

"Shocker!" (jacket, he has a hardcore jacket obsession which did not subside until after a full week of high humidity and high temp weather)

"Don't cry Baby!"

"No sirens!"

"Don't bark doggy!"

You may think the exclamation marks are excessive, but he really does say all of these things very emphatically.

"Big truck!", "Big car!" Yes, everything is big these days.

"Bicycar!" this could be anything from a little kids bicycle to a big motorcycle

"Don't cry car!" I have to agree with him on that one. A little stranger is "Eat, car" while rubbing potatoes on his toy car at dinner.

"yoke!" this is yogurt, cottage cheese, ice-cream and the like.

"pooper" and for Alder "yellow pooper"

"I gee you" literally "I carry you" but meaning "pick me up"

"help you" in the same vein, means "help me" usually with his food.

"wash hands!" He has suddenly in the last week become obsessive about keeping clean, or should I say getting dirty and then immediately washing up. Mealtimes have become a marathon of face, hand, leg, shirt and hair washings. On the plus side, he now picks up his clothes and Alders and puts them in the laundry basket (or the trash can or the kitchen sink). And he'll put Alder's dirty diapers (neatly rolled up of course) in the trash (or the laundry basket or the kitchen sink). He's a very helpful little guy.

He also responds to me calling him now with "yeah", and he tried to hand something to Alder the other day saying "here"

And today I survived my first solo outing with them to the zoo. I've taken them in the car to run errands on my own, and I've taken them to the zoo with other people, but this was our first time going just the three of us. And aside from Alder exploding his diaper all over the front of my white shirt, we had fun and nobody got lost or injured.

"night, night"

No comments: