Monday, February 18, 2008



woodpecker, lizard, the Dr. Bird (Jamaica's national bird -- the hummingbird with long tail feathers which is unique to this island), lastly -- wild coffee beans (mmm).




















We spent the weekend up in the Blue Mountains -- finally some fresh air, no traffic, and cool temperatures.  It looks like it will be a great place to camp once our stuff gets here, and we get a car -- kenny rogers took us this time, and we are learning lot's about jamaican politics from him.  Hurricane Dean ripped the roofs off all the cabins in the national park, but they hope to have them repaired in-time for the next hurricane.

The food was scrumptious -- Sarah treated me to Oxtail while she inhaled some curry goat. The accommodations were basic, but sarah forgot to tell them that we were married because the room came with two junior beds instead of a king/queen.  It was quite cozy for us and our new lizard friend.

We met a few other expats at the cafe who gave us ride up the road mile or so to Alex and Dorothy's Old Tavern Coffee.  Apparently, they were among the ground breakers in processing Blue Mountain Coffee themselves without going through the Coffee Board (after an icky battle with City Hall I presume).  Dorothy gave us an overview of their operation (with an interruptions to scold one of the guard dogs that peed on the porch), followed by some coffee with her, Alex and a visiting family friend who gave us ride back.  I'm a fan: www.oldtaverncoffee.com

Anyway, thank you Sarah for a wonderful birthday!  I also hope our readers will post because we have at least one other very interesting photo, but we have no idea if people are reading this if they don't post.  Hello?

4 comments:

bezdomnik said...

I'm reading, and I've passed the link on to one other who will read...

Nice pics! I especially think the hummingbird lovely, although I wonder if its tail gets in the way or really gives it better balance.

-Joanna

p.s. it's nice to meet you, Christopher. :)

Anonymous said...

That bird is amazing! I love the long tail. I've just put in a hummingbird feeder at our home in Berkeley but haven't seen any birds yet. Enjoy the coffee, wildlife, and Kenny! Cheers,
Ben

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is an amazing shot of the Doctor Bird. You should start a new career as a photographer.

radishknits said...

Thanks for the photos! They're awesome. There's a little link on my bookmark bar that I check almost everyday to see if there's something new. Have fun!

Love-
Erica