Monday, March 30, 2009

Seattle it is!!!

The final decision is in, after 72 hours of agonizing flip-flopping we are agreed and HAPPY to be leaving Kingston and the State Department and moving to a private sector job for Christopher in the Seattle area. I knew it was the right decision when Christopher started jumping up and down around the room grinning like a jack rabbit hiding easter eggs. We probably would have enjoyed Bamako and had an amazing life experience and learned to speak French, but the State Department is such a behemoth bureaucratic organization with no quality control that it also might have been a nightmare. And the next nine months here would have certainly been continued unhappiness for Christopher working at an unfulfilling job under grossly incompetent management. So hurray for gray skies, damp weather, evergreen trees and my dearly beloved and much missed Pacific Northwest. Hurray for being closer to family and friends and staying in one place long enough to put down roots. Hurray for being able to pick out our own house and furniture and not needing armed guards.

There were a million reasons to go and and million reasons to stay, but in the end it was a gut decision. We have a very busy month ahead of us but I look forward to talking to you all soon! I miss my friends.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Congratulations on the decision! I've always wanted a reason to find myself in Seattle and now I have 3 :) Got your message today...hope to talk to you soon- I miss you!