Friday, January 2, 2009

Welcome '09

I'm not big on the whole New Year's resolutions thing. However, I do think New Year's day is a good time to reflect on the accomplishments of the last year and set some goals for the new. So last night as I was putting Salem to sleep Christopher pulled out his trusty 3x5 notecards and we made our lists:

Accomplishments in 2008
-gestated and gave birth to Salem
-Christopher interviewed over 11,000 people for visas
-moved 3 times
-Sarah finished her PhD
-we bought a used car in Jamaica
-we circumnavigated the whole island

While we accomplished a lot in 2008, we both agreed that it was a difficult year for us.  There was a lot more surviving and getting through than thriving and relishing life.  Moving to a foreign country and writing the dissertation while pregnant was really too much for me to enjoy any of it, and while it is amazing to have talked to 11000 people in a year, it was also mind-numbing work for Christopher.  The biggest thing for us in 2009 is to regain that sense of really enjoying life.  To that end, here are our plans for the next year.

Goals for 2009
-nurture and grow Salem
-improve our cardiovascular fitness
-achieve and maintain zero credit card debt
-move once and only once
-do something new professionally (both of us)
-make a good financial investment
-make a new friend
-connect more with old friends


4 comments:

Lorien said...

I think that 2009 is going to be a good year, and while 2008 was hard, you have a lot to be proud of.

Oh, yeah, and the fire ant picture is gross.

Christopher said...

indeed it will be good. One correction to Sarah's post, it was 11,000 people i spoke with, not 1,100.

Unknown said...

I agree that 2008 was a difficult year, I hope that you reach your goals for 2009 because they are good ones. I also have goals that I am already working on and I hope to meet them by the years end. yay for having a baby though... he is precious and growing beautifuly! GOOD JOB! :)

Peyton Stafford said...

I like your resolutions, and let's hope that 2009 is easier than 2008. How about some more pix and videos of Salem and his parents? We love watching them!