So this post is a little delayed, seeing as how our anniversary was nearly three weeks ago, but I still want to post some pictures. We went and spent the night at Starlight Chalet, up in the Blue Mountains above Kingston. It was still the rainy season, and no one else was there. We took the back way because we had hear that there was a pretty bad washout the normal way, and it took us over three hours over wet windy mountain roads to get there. When we arrived everything was covered in fog, so although it was still mid-afternoon it was pretty dark and we didn't have much of a sense of where we were, but the next morning was bright and sunny, and we could see the mountains and valleys around us - it was quite beautiful.
On the way home we decided the washout couldn't be much worse than what we had already traveled. As it turns out, the majority of the road was much better, however the washout itself was pretty serious - I hear they have since closed it. Christopher made Salem and me get out of the car and walk across before he drove across. Don't worry, I wouldn't have let him do it if I hadn't been sure there was room for him to clear it, but it was one of those moments where we realized that if we had been in the U.S., we wouldn't have been allowed to even get close to it, much less drive over it.
Having cleared the treacherous washout, we went to Strawberry Hill for lunch. The grounds have something of an artsy fairytale quality to them. It was indeed a lovely place, as it should be at 500 bucks a night (US). I suspect it may be the only lodging on the island where the rooms don't smell musty. But lunch was quite reasonable, and delicious.
2 comments:
Hi Sarah!
Your Grandmother Jane and I really enjoyed your photo essay. It looks like you had a wonderful time on your anniversary vacation. It's hard to believe that two years have already passed!
Love you all!
Peyton and Jane
happy belated anniversary!!!! love the pictures, love you guys.....
Post a Comment